We enthusiastically welcome new individuals or groups to become Altaristas and are touched by those who have made this commitment over the years. The Altar Show is a unique venue for experimental art and “sacred space” where people may safely share their most personal statements about the human experience. Artists of all ages, skills and interests participate using a wide variety of media including painting, drawing, sculpture, collage and assemblage. The altars can be inspiring, mysterious, insightful, humorous and informative – even outrageous.
No jury approves or sanctions the work. Each is a gift to the community, a glimpse into our personal and individual souls, coming directly from the heart.
If you would like to participate, please download and print the entry form.
To participate, you must do the following:
- attend an orientation
- submit entry form
- provide catalog submission
- pay space fee
- select two docent shifts (three hours each)
- choose a volunteer job
Orientation: Altaristas must attend one orientation at the Nevada County Fairgrounds, Northern Mines Building. For dates and times check our calendar.
- Title of your altar, followed by your name or your group’s name.
- Statement about your altar, 50 words or less; it’s meaning, techniques, etc.
- Typed or legibly hand-written in paragraph format with correct spelling.